Today has been… a day. This whole week has been, really. Not only are we nearing the end of the school semester, but we have entered the holiday season. That means family time. That means presents. That means those God-awful things called finals. I’m not great in school or anything, and I’m broke as heck, so I understand all of the stress that comes with this time of year.
Top 5 Things That Cause a Teenage Girl’s Stress
1. Grades. I know for me this is a huge one. I’m constantly wondering if I’ll be able to pass the next quiz or test, even if I spent the whole night studying for it. I know that my grades shouldn’t define me, but it’s really hard to be friends with all the smart people, you know?
2. Self-Worth. I love social media, don’t get me wrong. Sometimes, though, I wonder if it’s worth it. I follow so many people that I feel are so much prettier than me, who have so many more people following them, or who have amazing makeup skills. I constantly look to social media and feel bad about myself.
3. Money. This one goes back to the previous point. I look on social media and immediately want to go to the store and buy a bunch of makeup so that I can perfect that winged liner look, or go out to the salon and get my hair and eyebrows done so I’m poppin at school the next day. Or maybe I want to buy a present for a friend for their birthday or a holiday. But then I look in my wallet and see that I have four dollars and a paper clip and wonder what I’m doing with my life.
4. Friendships. I see so many of my peers that have friendships that I know they don’t want to be in. But we put ourselves in friendships that we don’t want because we think it might, in some way, elevate our status, push us up a rung on the social latter of high school.
5. Relationships. This sort of ties into the last point, but now I’m talking about romantic relationships. Girls want the perfect relationship, one that you could find on Instagram and fawn over forever. (I’m talking like Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds.) If you’re ina relationship, everyone loves your relationship and wants one just like it. But if you aren’t in a relationship, you feel like you aren’t good enough for people, or you’re going to die alone surrounded by your sixty cats.
Now, I’m not speaking for every single girl out there in the world, I’m just speaking on what I know stresses me or my friends out. I hope we can all learn that we are perfect the way we are, and that we don’t need to be anything different.